I love the one on one relationship with our professors that then molds into a friendship. I love the willingness of our teachers and the time and dedication they spend with all of the students. I hope one day to show the same to my students, when I teach art. -Brittany Standard/Bethany, OK
The USAO art teacher certification program is offered through the Division of Arts and Humanities and combines liberal arts learning with teacher preparation. Its goal is to prepare individuals to become effective art teachers and obtain an Oklahoma Teaching Certificate in art. This program is a standards-based program, based upon the standards set forth by the National Art Education Association (NAEA), the State Competencies, and the research findings from "Effective Teacher" research. Collectively, these standards and research findings provide the knowledge base for what art teachers should know and do.
Individuals successfully completing this program are eligible to obtain an Oklahoma teaching certificate to teach art in grades PK-12. Since USAO teacher certification programs are nationally certified by The National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) certification in other states is simplified. It is recommended that certification be initially obtained in Oklahoma prior to seeking certification from another state.
Students wishing to pursue a teaching certificate in art should consult Jacquelyn Knapp, the art education advisor. A program checklist for a degree in art with teacher certification includes
- Admission to the Teacher Education Program
- Satisfied the Foreign Language Competency Requirement
- Satisfied the Professional Portfolio Requirement
- Admission to the Professional Trimester
- Overall Grade Point Average 2.5
- 2.75 Grade Point Average in Certification Area
- Successful Completion of Certification Exams
- Completion of the courses listed on the left side of this page plus
- ART 3273 Teaching Art in the Public School
- ART 1662 Jewelry
- 1 hour craft
- Foreign Language (2 sem.)
- Three hours of selected craft courses with approval of Department Chairperson.
- Four hours of advanced level studio courses. Students are expected to develop a studio concentration with approval of Department Chairperson.
Note: Items on this page and page links are intended for informational purposes only. Please consult the current USAO catalog for actual class requirements for this or any other major field of study. Current USAO students should consult their advisor.